The Ophthalmic Medical Technologist Training Program (OMTTP) is a full-time, two year program that trains students in the NWT to become certified Ophthalmic Medical Technologists. Based at the NTHSSA - Stanton Territorial Hospital Ophthalmology Clinic in Yellowknife, NT, the program is recognized across Canada as one of the leading programs in this field.
The majority of training takes place in Yellowknife in a classroom and clinic setting, and students are also included on travel clinics throughout NWT and Nunavut. Recruitment for the program occurs every two years and the OMTTP is the primary source for technicians for the NTHSSA.
The next Program is scheduled to start in September 2019, and we are currently accepting applications.
There is no tuition for this program. There is no guarantee of employment after training is complete, although the OMTTP is the primary source of trained Technicians/Technologists for the Stanton Territorial Hospital Ophthalmology clinic. A signed return of service will be required by all accepted students at the beginning of their training and is only applied if a full time position is available at the completion of their training
The Ophthalmic Medical Technologist Training Program is accredited by the International Council of Accreditation through July 2021.
Academic Entrance Requirements
Minimum academic entry requirements are a secondary school diploma with English 30, Math 30 applied, and Biology 30 (Physics 30 or Chemistry 30 are suitable alternatives). A final grade average of sixty-five percent of higher is required in all subjects. Medically-related experience or equivalencies will be considered.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this program please take the time to submit the following:
- Complete the Application Form.
- Letter of Interest – Topic: "Why I want to become an Ophthalmic Medical Technologist." Essay should be typed and between 250 and 500 words in length
- Résumé and cover letter outlining your reasons for applying to the program
- Three professional references (Professional or personal)
- ALL Secondary and post-secondary (if applicable) education transcripts (original transcripts not required)
- Submit via email, regular mail or in person by the program application deadline, June 14th, 2019 before 4:30pm.
In addition, please clearly identify yourself under the affirmative action policy of the Government of the Northwest Territories.
For more information contact:
Kent Rose, COMT
OMTTP Clinical Educator
Related Links about Ophthalmology: